Authorities Reopen Freedom Park in Phnom Penh

2014-08-06
Email story
Comment on this story
Share
Print story
Workers remove barbed wire and other barricades from Freedom Park in Phnom Penh, Aug 6, 2014.
Workers remove barbed wire and other barricades from Freedom Park in Phnom Penh, Aug 6, 2014.
RFA

Cambodian authorities on Wednesday reopened Freedom Park after barricading the capital’s designated protest space for most of this year, saying public order and security has been restored.

But many believe that Freedom Park’s doors were opened again because of the political settlement between Prime Minister Hun Sen and the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), whose vociferous protests against the strongman had led to the park’s closure in the first place.

“Now that security, safety and public order have been restored to normalcy, the authorities have decided to open Freedom Park from today,” the Phnom Penh City Hall said in a statement dated Tuesday but released Wednesday.

“In the past, the park was abused, provoking incitement that led to violence, killings and destruction of public and private properties [outside the park]. Those abuses were contrary to the law on peaceful demonstrations and that was why the authorities decided to close the park,” the statement said.

City Hall spokesman Long Dymong, who was overseeing efforts Wednesday by workers to dismantle barbed wire fencing and other barricades around the park, told RFA’s Khmer Service that Freedom Park’s closure was not politically motivated.

“The temporary closure of the park was not linked to politics,” he said. “When we saw groups of people, including NGOs and political parties, abusing the park, we decided to close it,” he said.

The park was a bastion of the CNRP and many party supporters had camped in it as part of a campaign calling for reelections and the resignation of Hun Sen.

It was closed a day after clashes during an opposition-supported strike in the outskirts of the capital by textile workers left five people dead.

The campaign against Hun Sen was launched by CNRP President Sam Rainsy after charging that the July 2013 elections—which saw the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) declared victor—had been rigged.

Hun Sen and Sam Rainsy clinched a July 22 agreement in which the CPP agreed to implement election reforms and the CNRP agreed to end its nearly one-year boycott of parliament.

On Tuesday, Sam Rainsy and 54 other elected CNRP lawmakers took their oath of office before King Norodom Sihamoni at the Royal Palace.

Welcome

CNRP lawmaker Ho Vann welcomed City Hall’s move, saying the park’s reopening stemmed from the agreement between the ruling and opposition parties.

He said the people would now be able to express their views at the park.

“When Freedom Park was closed, it meant the authorities eliminated freedom of expression across the country. Now that it is opened again, I hope that freedom of expression and democracy will improve.”

Am Sam Ath, senior officer for local rights group Licadho, rejected City Hall’s statement that protestors abused the park.

The reopening of the park has proven that its closure was politically motivated, he said.

“City Hall’s reason was just an excuse to close the park,” he said. “It was not a reasonable excuse.”  

Reported by RFA’s Khmer Service. Translated by Samean Yun. Written in English by Parameswaran Ponnudurai.

Comments (3)
Share

Anonymous Reader

How nice evil traitors! How much blood of innocent Cambodians you devils have sucked?

Aug 23, 2014 03:37 PM

khmer kid

from battambang

does this mean that justice and feedom will prevail for other pending cases around the country

Aug 07, 2014 05:41 PM

Pol Pot

Now the CNRP brass can DRIVE IN in protest...

Aug 07, 2014 04:15 AM

Anonymous Reader

Now anyone can drive in protest. It belongs to everyone, not just individuals or party. Understand!!!

Aug 07, 2014 09:14 AM

Pol Pot

Wrong! The others have to WALK IN in protest. Only the CNRP brass DRIVE IN with their car in protest.
------WebKitFormBoundaryALh1uWIBk0bsv1B7--X-

Aug 07, 2014 12:29 PM

Anonymous Reader

Who cares walk in or drive in, it belongs to the public now.

Aug 08, 2014 12:10 AM

Anonymous Reader

Yup! The way you talk categorizes you to the CNRP princeling. By the way, what car you DRIVE IN in protest? A SUV or a Lamborghini?

Aug 08, 2014 07:36 AM

Anonymous Reader

Boy, you're so dense. I don't even own a motorcycle let alone a car. Cars don't give me a hard-on, unlike you. I've been riding moto-dop for the past 10 years. It doesn't bother me a bit. Glade to see buses coming to the city though.

Aug 09, 2014 12:10 AM

CH. 1: MANDARIN | CANTONESE

CH. 2: VIETNAMESE | BURMESE | KOREAN

CH. 3: KHMER | LAO | UYGHUR

CH. 4: TIBETAN

More Listening Options

View Full Site