Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen's ruling party and the main opposition party, following an appeal from the country's revered king, have agreed to reconsider the possibility of forming a joint committee to investigate widespread irregularities in disputed elections, officials said Friday.
The move came as the government played down the deployment of armored personnel carriers and soldiers in the capital Phnom Penh, saying it was a precautionary measure following threats by the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) to hold mass demonstrations if poll malpractices were not investigated.
Officials from CNRP and the ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP) met on Friday and agreed to look into the possibility of setting up a probe panel comprising members of the two parties as well as nongovernmental organizations and observers from the United Nations and other international groups.
"This is just a start," CNRP deputy president Kem Sokha told RFA's Khmer Service.
Noting that officials from Hun Sen's government are hopeful that the committee will be be able to grapple with investigations into the irregularities in the July 28 national elections, he said, "We are also hopeful."
"There must be goodwill," he added.
Results announcement delayed
In a simultaneous move, the National Election Committee (NEC), which conducts polls in the country, announced it was delaying any announcement of preliminary election results scheduled over the weekend, saying election irregularities have to be resolved first.
"The NEC has not completed examining the election irregularities yet," it said in a statement. "The NEC will announce the preliminary results soon" without giving any new date.
The CNRP has claimed that ballot irregularities resulted in more than 1 million names removed from voter lists, with a similar number of "phantom" voters added to them, along with what it called the duplication of about 200,000 names.
Both the CNRP and CPP have claimed victory in the hotly contested elections in which the performance by Hun Sen's party was the worst since 1998.
King Norodom Sihamoni called for calm in a public statement Wednesday and sought a peaceful resolution to the election crisis.
"[F]or the sake of national interests and peace and national stability, I appeal to the two parties that were chosen to be represented at the National Assembly [parliament] to continue talking to find a peaceful resolution to their remaining disputes," he said.
Discussing UN role in probe
Kem Sokha said Interior Minister Sar Kheng had earlier contacted him about the prospect of their meeting on the dispute over the vote but he had asked that the working groups from the two parties meet first on Friday.
Previous discussions on the issue had broken down because the CPP did not agree to the CNRP's proposal to have the U.N. lead or be a member of any joint committee that probes the poll irregularities.
CNRP deputy president Kem Sokha said Friday that his party would be agreeable to the U.N. acting as just observers in the panel if the CPP agreed that the National Election Committee (NEC), which manages polls in the country, be kept out of the probe.
Following a request by CNRP chief Sam Rainsy to the U.N. to participate in the panel, the world body has said that it cannot do so unless it is invited by the government, Kem Sokha said.
"We want to establish a committee to seek justice for the voters," Kem Sokha said.