Displaced Residents in Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City Brushed Aside by Government

2019-01-17
Email story
Comment on this story
Share
Print story
Displaced residents of Ho Chi Minh City's Loc Hung community Thursday visited government offices to file a petition demanding compensation.
Displaced residents of Ho Chi Minh City's Loc Hung community Thursday visited government offices to file a petition demanding compensation.
Tin Mừng Cho Người Nghèo via Facebook

About 100 people who were suddenly evicted as a result of the demolitions that took place in Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City in a two-day operation on Jan. 4 and Jan. 8 have gone to the offices of the city government, the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) and the national assembly to submit a petition pleading their case.

Authorities demolished at least 112 houses in a parcel of land claimed by the Catholic Church, where they had lived. Among the displaced residents of the Tan Binh district’s Loc Hung Vegetable Garden settlement are political dissidents and veterans of the former Army of South Vietnam, sources say.

Their petition was refused by the city’s CPV office and the national assembly office.

“We went to the city’s people’s committee office and they took our petition,” said Cao Ha Thanh to RFA’s Vietnamese Service over the phone on Thursday evening.

Cao had visited the three offices earlier in the day.

“We went there many times over the past few decades to ask for our rights to the land, and they had never answered our previous demands,” said Cao.

Cao said that after visiting the national assembly office, one official came to meet them to say there was not anything the government could do on their behalf.

“We [then] went to the party’s office but when we got closer to the building, they closed the gate. I tried to tell them about our situation but they refused to take our petition,” said Cao.

RFA attempted to contact the three offices by telephone. The national assembly office answered, but refused to answer questions over the phone.

Residents of the community posted the petition in a Facebook group they set up saying that more than 100 families had signed it. The petition says that they were affected directly and have suffered losses as a result of the forced evictions.

In the petition they asked relevant officials of the three offices to uphold their rights, demanded that Tan Binh district authorities stop illegal evictions, and demanded transparency and proper compensation for their losses.

State media on Thursday quoted a letter sent from Vietnam’s Ministry of Natural Resources to their city-level counterpart in Ho Chi Minh as saying that the residents were only borrowing the land to cultivate vegetables, so they have no land rights, and are therefore not entitled to compensation.

Officials from Tan Binh district on Sunday told state media they offered about 7 million Vietnamese dong (about $300) per square meter of land and 4-6 million dong (about $170-$260) per month for a period of three months to those families who lost their vegetables as a result of the eviction.

The Sai Gon Giai Phong newspaper reported on Tuesday that 30 of the families of Loc Hung had received this support.

While all land in Vietnam is ultimately held by the state, land confiscations have become a flashpoint as residents accuse the government of pushing small landowners aside in favor of lucrative real estate projects, and of paying too little in compensation to those whose land is taken.

Reported by RFA’s Vietnamese Service. Translated by Viet Ha. Written in English by Eugene Whong.

Comments (2)
Share

Marie Therese Le

This brutal crime committed by the Communist leaders in Vietnam most likely instructed from Hanoi; residents/victims in Loc Hung often have strong oppositions in voicing their ideas in protecting human rights, protecting environment (as in Formosa case). In order to prepare the way for the China invaders, the local government has to shut down the opponents first, starting from Loc Hung then spreading to other areas. Seizing the land is only one reason, the deeper plan is hidden behind this crime.

Jan 19, 2019 06:17 PM

Mary Pham

from usa

"Suddenly, evicted"? Announcement of land-clearance issued by the government for the purpose of school-construction - caused the rush of illegal private and rental housing boom from zero to 100+, in just 3 years! Worst, construction costs were originated from overseas Vietnamese for no other reasons than challenging the local authorities and creating the ugly image of conflicts. Of course, victims are once again, domestic Vietnamese who will be thrown in jail while overseas Vietnamese will move on to other "projects"!

Jan 18, 2019 10:36 AM

CH. 1: MANDARIN | CANTONESE

CH. 2: VIETNAMESE | BURMESE | KOREAN

CH. 3: KHMER | LAO | UYGHUR

CH. 4: TIBETAN

More Listening Options

View Full Site